Monday, December 2, 2013

Some things you can never forget. | AZVHV

Some things you can never forget. | AZVHV

Some things you can never forget. 

I sat next to a Marine at the airport this weekend. He very politely replied “yes Maam” when my wife inquired if the seats to his left would be unoccupied. I nodded my thanks but not for the seat, and I could see that he understood. The look on his face really struck me. He seemed to us, way too young to be in the service, and he looked very proud but apprehensive. I wondered what was going on in his mind. Was he being deployed somewhere risky? I wondered about his family, would he be away from home long? Perhaps that look was as simple as disappointment that the holiday weekend was over so soon. I wondered too, considering our increasingly unstable global environment, what inspires young men and women to overcome caution and doubt, and choose a career in the military? 

I wholeheartedly understand the allegiance that makes us want to serve our country, but the world is nowhere near the same as when I joined the Army. I had just graduated from college so I must have looked as young as that Marine at the airport. Had I also looked as uneasy? I’m sure I didn’t. The US was not involved in anything particularly hostile at the time, mostly peacekeeping and rescue or evacuation missions. I had a degree in Law Enforcement so MP training seemed like a logical next step to me, an extension of my education, an honorable career path. I remember telling myself that it was a business decision and a bit of an adventure, just another job. I don’t imagine that joining the military feels exactly like that anymore.  

As a Veteran who never really faced a life and death situation (unless you count that one hairy helicopter ride over the mountains in Germany, I never want to see the inside of another helicopter) I just have to say this out loud. I have an enormous amount of respect for any and all of our current military members. I can barely contain my admiration and appreciation. I am sure they are acutely aware from day one that at a moment’s notice they could be called upon to do far, far more than just another job. 

That very young Marine got on the plane without hesitation (last in line I might add, and that’s a rant for another day) still with that look of apprehension, still so very polite, quietly stepping aside when a small child dragged a backpack over his feet, still dignified, a true Marine. He couldn’t possibly in a million years remember us, but I swear if I ever see him again, even in a crowd, I will remember his face.


No comments:

Post a Comment